My father keeps telling me, “Climate change will be the biggest challenge of your generation.”
Over email: “Have you read this article? Uninhabitable Earth seems like a book you should read.”
On a hike: “If you want to do something big, you should study the climate.”
Popping up in the background when I’m FaceTiming my mother: “Did you read that article I sent you?”
Okay, okay, padre. So I’m looking into it.
Some initial notes on one climate change-development paper:
Crick, Eskander, Fankhauser & Diop 2018
- Small, medium, micro enterprises are especially vulnerable to climate change
- Semi-arid lands have high exposure to climate stress
- Africa will face particularly high temperature rises this century
- Some of the challenges they will face:
- less predictable seasonal rains
- increased intensity when it does rain
- reduction in crop quality & yields
- decreased live-stock productivity
- reduced availability of freshwater
- Sustainable adaptation = maintaining business operations at existing levels
- Unsustainable adaptation = contraction in business activity (e.g. distress sale of assets)
- Financial barriers and insufficient market access are associated with business contraction (unsustainable adaptation)
- Info, gov’t support, adaptation assistance increase prob. of sustainable adaptation
- Room for policy to increase sustainable adaptation
It’s just one small peak into what’s being researched, just a taste of the questions out there, but I already have so many questions:
- What are the primary risks from climate change for developing countries? For others as well as specifically farmers?
- How aware / conscious are people about climate change and its impacts? How much does that factor into decision making?
- Why are women particularly vulnerable to climate change impacts?
- What ARE the climate change impacts that we expect to see in the next 10, 20, 50 years? What are we already seeing?
- What kinds of adaptations are sustainable vs. unsustainable?
- How can policy influence people’s ability to adapt?
- What is the ideal outcome / goal of sustainable adaptation? What’s the best possible outcome given the realities of climate change?
- Are businesses that adapt to climate change more or less profitable than those that do not? (Is climate change adaptation profitable?)
- What local or national practices are best for counteracting the negative impact?